2009 Camp Challenge – “Be thou an example of the believers”
The Garden Stake camp challenge this year calls young women and leaders to select two (2) areas in their life where they could personally be a better example of the believers. You may wish to select an area from the “For the Strength of Youth” booklet, the young women values, a conference talk, a bad habit you would like to break, a good habit you would like to start, etc.
Be specific in what you want to accomplish and how you plan to do it. Write it down. Share this information with a trusted friend, parent, leader, or teacher that could help support and encourage you as you learn to be an example of the believers.
After you have completed each experience where you were an “example of the believers”, write down your thoughts and feelings about the experience in your journal. You may also wish to share your thoughts and experience with your trusted friend, parent, leader, or teacher.
Examples :
· Dress and Appearance: I might decide to dress more modestly and remove immodest clothes from my wardrobe. Or I might decide to be less casual in my dress and appearance.
· Tithing: I might decide I want to understand the law of tithing by reading about it and by paying a full tithe. After a set amount of time (such as 1-2 months) I would review what I had done and how I felt about tithing.
· Bear testimony: I might decide to ponder my testimony and then bear it in Sacrament meeting and to a friend, co-worker, non-member friend or family member, and/or stranger.
· Entertainment and media: I might decide to choose the movies and television shows I watch, music I listen to, internet sites I visit, and video games I play more carefully (for example, not just by rating, but by content or whether the Holy Ghost could with me while I do those things). Or, I might decide to reduce my leisure media usage to an hour a day.
· Divine Nature: I might decide to read my scriptures every day for 15 minutes and pray more regularly morning and night as well as more earnestly to strengthen my relationship with my Heavenly Father. Or, I might decide to study about Heavenly Father through the scriptures and church magazines to find out my relationship to God and then ask Him if I am His child.
· Family: I might decide to do a secret act of service every day for two weeks for someone in my family. Or, I might decide to be a peacemaker in my home by not teasing my brothers and sisters, by being more obedient to my parents, and by trying to help our home be a happy place.
· Language: I might decide to stop using offensive or negative language and to be more uplifting and encouraging in my speech. Or I might decide to not gossip anymore.
· Atonement/Repentance: I might decide to read more about our Savior and His life, specifically focusing in on the Atonement and applying the repentance process more fully in my life.
· Virtue: I might decide that I want to learn more about what virtue is and why it was important enough to be added as a new value. I may read about people in the scriptures or history that showed virtue, decide how they were virtuous, and try to mirror their example.
· Taking better care of my body: I might decide I want to exercise more regularly, eat more healthy, get enough sleep each night, keep my body clean and well-groomed, etc.
· Temple: I might decide to be worthy of and obtain a temple recommend to participate in the ordinances in the temple (e.g. baptisms for the dead).
Click here to find the Standards for the Strength of Youth on LDS.org.
Friday, January 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.